10 Best Gas Masks of 2021 (Reviewed)
10 Best Gas Masks of 2021 (Reviewed)
If you’re interested in being prepared for every situation or maybe your hobbies just involve bleaching fabrics or using spray paints in enclosed spaces, you’re going to need a good gas mask to protect yourself with. There are so many of them out there, and at first glance, you’d think they’re all pretty much the same.
When you start digging down into it, you might find yourself overwhelmed with choices. We’re here to take that pressure off of your brain. Amazon offers so many gas masks, and if you need help picking out the best one for you we’ve narrowed it down to ten you’re going to love!
In a hurry? Here’s the test winner after 10 hours of research:
10 Best Gas Masks - Overview
Here are the top 5 picks (keep scrolling for more details and picks 6-10).
1. Reusable Half Face Cover Set
- Humanized Design: Professional multifunctional gas mаsk, half mаsk, double filtration, high filtration effect, high performance. Designed specifically for facial structure and nose bridge, it fits...
This half facial covering is easy to use and incredibly versatile. It’s comfortable without sacrificing a solid seal against your face, and it’s easy to reload without giving up functionality in exchange. The filter assembly is simple and full of functionality. There’s an electrostatic cotton filter that lies in front of your filter cartridges to maximize the particle filtration of this mask. It’s excellent at creating a high-quality environment for you no matter how much is going on in your immediate vicinity.
The straps here are made from durable fabric instead of plastic or rubber. If you’ve been burned by tight elastic this will be a much more comfortable alternative for you. Keeping your mask comfortable is key to encouraging regular use even when you feel like you could “just tough it out.”
2. 3M Ultimate FX Full Facepiece Reusable Respirator FF-402
- Secure fit: Durable, long lasting head harness features a 6 strap configuration for a Secure fit; Comfort cradle positions the respirator more comfortably on the head
This reusable respirator is equipped with a durable head harness. That harness is going to ensure that the seal this mask makes around your face stays secure and you can move freely without worry about whether the gas mask is going to stay in place against your face. The peace of mind you’ll get from the head harness alone makes this a great purchase.
Don’t worry about moisture from your breath building up inside of this mask, the 3M Cool Flow Valve will allow your warm moist air out of the mask without letting the filtered particles inside. The face cover is coated with their proprietary Scotch guard which makes paints and stains bead up instead of settling down and obstructing your view.
3. 3M Rugged Comfort Half Facepiece Reusable Respirator
- Resilient silicone faceseal helps provide comfort, durability, and stability with a soft but firm seal
A full-face mask might be overkill for your needs. If you have protective goggles or you’re unlikely to be in the path of something that will irritate your eyes as much as it will irritate your breathing, you can opt for a half facepiece respirator instead.
This particular respirator is going to make a firm seal around your mouth. Your ears aren’t going to be bearing the brunt of this facemask, because the straps meet around the back of your head in a tight harness. This mask is also equipped with 3M’s Cool Flow Valve, so if you’re wearing it while doing work that requires you to wear eyewear, you won’t have to worry about it fogging up your goggles or face shield.
4. MIRASAFETY Survival Kit CBRN Emergency Gear-NBC
- QUALITY: CERTIFIED Premium MIRA SAFETY Professional Full Facepiece Respirator Mask provides protection of respiratory organs, eyes and face from vaporous and gaseous harmful substances and aerosols...
If you’re looking for a full-face gas mask that will keep your eyes and mouth sealed, secure, and won’t be a hassle getting on, then this is the gold standard. It’s a simple mask, but simplicity is what you’re looking for when you’re trying to get a gas mask on in a pinch. It’s a tested and certified mask. The build quality is top-notch, and it’s going to do exactly what it sets out to do. Once you’ve slotted in a filter you’ll be ready to go.
This mask provides you with an unobstructed field of view. Once you’ve slipped it on, the facepiece is clear and goes all the way around the mouthpiece. You’re not going to have a problem with your visibility, because anything that could possibly obstruct your view is way outside of your periphery.
5. Dräger X-plore 5500 Full-Face Respirator Mask
- EXCELLENT CHEMICAL & THERMAL RESISTANCE – reusable, dirt- and aging-resistant full-face respirator mask made of flexible, skin-friendly, silicone-free materials. Breathing & eye protection in one....
This mask will sit in storage for a long time before showing signs of wear, and if you need to break it out in extreme circumstances, its top tier resistance to thermal and chemical assailants is going to keep this mask fresh and ready for reuse for a long time. That’s going to be an important part of keeping you safe in the future. If the seal or the straps starting wearing down just from storage or a couple of uses, then you’re not going to be getting any real protection from the mask in the future.
Getting this mask on and tighten to your face is easy. You just slip the harness down around your head, and the straps bordering your face are easy to adjust once the respirator is in place.
6. 3M Reusable Respirator, Half Face Piece 7502
- COMFORT AND DURABLE: Advance silicone material for increased comfort and greater durability
This reusable respirator from 3M is a great family-friendly option. The mask is easy to get on and adjust, the filters are simple to switch out, and their proprietary “CoolFlow” valve makes it easy to breathe in once you’ve secured it. Their exhalation valve cover is pointed downwards so you’re not breathing hot air directly into your face and fogging up your eye coverings.
This mask comes equipped with a system that makes it easy to pop off when you need to ditch it or you’re out of the foul air conditions you’re protecting yourself from. The head harness is simple to adjust, and once you’re through, just find the one-hand touch drop-down feature and you can get the face-covering off without breaking a sweat.
7. Full Face Respirаtor Reusable, Gas Cover Organic Vapor Respirаtor
- COMFORTABLE & SEALED: The sealing edge of gas mаsk is made of high-quality silicone mixture material, which fits the face very well and the soft texture provides you with a comfortable wearing...
This mask has a broad field of view. High-pressure situations tend to narrow our focus down towards what’s right in front of us, so keeping your periphery clear will give you all of the advantages that you can’t afford to lose. The face shield on this respirator comes all the way down from the brows where the mask creates a tight reliable seal and attaches down by the seal around your mouth.
This mask will accommodate a wide array of filters, so if your local supply is limited, you may be able to find a filter that will still work for your mask while others are forced to play Go Fish during their precious starting moments.
8. 17in 1 Reusable Full Face Respirator
This full-face respirator is going to be great for folks painting or doing up-close work that requires a clear field of vision. The seal comes pretty far up your face, but that won’t be much of an issue if you’re focusing on something at a close to medium distance. If you’re working on a team, there’s an emphasis on the vocal diaphragm. You and your team (or your family if this is an at-home emergency) will be able to communicate clearly the entire time these masks are on.
9. ST-100X Survival Full Face Gas Mask & Tactical Respirator
- SURVIVALIST HEAVY DUTY RESPIRATOR MASK - Full face mask with impact resistant lens & anti-fog technology
This heavy-duty ask means business. It’s a respirator that you can take the outdoors or survive the initial shock of a natural disaster while it’s waiting in your home for use. This is a mask that will last you a long time, and won’t be found broken or worn down when you need it most.
It’s also great for use in less dire circumstances. If you’re just wearing it for paint fumes, you’re going to be very pleased. It performs under pressure just as well as it does when the pressure is off. Once you’ve screwed in your filter this mask is ready to face the world.
10. PT-101 Full Face Gas Mask & Organic Vapor Respirator
- PROFESSIONAL HEAVY DUTY FILTRATION SYSTEM – Dual Activated Charcoal filters, & full face impact resistant lens
This mask uses a pair of dual activated charcoal filters. It’s proficient at pulling particles out of the air before that air makes it to your lungs. The dual filters are easy to click onto the mask, and sliding it into a snug fit on your head is just as easy. The mask is very sturdy and features a vocal diaphragm. You won’t have to shout to each other to be heard behind these air filtration fortresses.
Even though the masks are built to be durable they’re not going to be so heavy that your head will ache from carrying them around. The materials are lightweight so you’ll have an easy time keeping them on your face while you battle the elements.
This mask is incredibly versatile. You’re not going to be getting a full face seal, but that can be easily mitigated with a pair of goggles or protective eyewear. This is a great mask for work or recreation that involves fine particles like woodworking or painting. It’s incredibly comfortable, especially when compared to other masks. You’re going to be trading the facehugger-like grip of other full-face respirators, but if this mask encourages more regular wear, then in a practical sense, it’s going to be more likely to save your lungs. It’s easy to change out your filters if you’re going to be using this often, and it’s much more cost-effective than other masks that might be overkill for your specific needs.
Why You Need a Gas Mask
Gas masks are an essential aspect of emergency and survival preparation. When you have a good gas mask in your corner you’re setting yourself up for success in ways you may not have imagined. They’re more versatile and lifesaving than you may be originally thought. Gas masks bring to mind images of scientists vacuum-sealed into a hazmat suit or post-apocalyptic survival communes braving nuclear fallout in a dustbowl or some other fantasy scenario. But know that when you’re buying a gas mask you’re buying protection for your lungs (and possibly your eyes if you’re getting a full face mask) in everyday life.
- Pollution: Packing people into cities with all of their industrial advancements and technological wonders has increased the standards of living for so many people. It’s marvelous to behold, but you could argue that maybe we overdid it. Pollution can run rampant in densely populated cities, and sometimes you might need to break out a filter you can carry on your face. If your respiratory system is fragile you especially may benefit from having a respirator on hand for when the smog levels rise above something your body can handle on its own.
- Painting: Respirators aren’t just for the end times or when the air is trying to choke you out. If you’re an artist in an enclosed space, or you’re working with paints that need to be sprayed in large quantities, you absolutely do not want that stuff in your nose, mouth, or lungs. A good respirator will filter that mess out and leave you to continue your life unimpeded by paints tainting the inside of your body.
- Forest Fires: If you’ve ever had a bonfire blow smoke in your eyes, you know how uncomfortable it can be to breathe in the smoke from burning wood. Now imagine that’s happening to an entire forest just outside of town. If you’re living in a dry area of the country and it’s prone to forest fires, you should invest in a respirator. They’re going to make the difference in getting through the day with your lungs intact or suffering for hours on end.
- Volcano Eruptions: Volcano eruptions belch out smog and pretty much every single hideous thing that will destroy your lungs. The planet is full of minerals that don’t belong in your respiratory system, and volcanos vaporize them all and clog the air with it. If you live near a volcanic that could conceivably erupt, you should keep a good respirator on hand in case you’re ever met with the misfortune of the hottest natural disasters on the planet.
- Make sure that you’re taking care of your respirators while they’re stored and in between uses. Your filters all have a shelf life that you should be keeping track of as well as a maximum amount of time they can be continually used before they need to be switched out. A gas mask isn’t a magic bullet, you need to take care of them if you want them to take care of you.
Bonus tip: A gas mask can save your life. If you’re escaping an area filled with smoke or braving the world when pollution has gotten out of hand, a respirator is an amazing thing to have access to. That being said, if you’re not using it right then it’s totally useless. This video will teach you how to use one properly so that you’re getting the most out of your money!