Best Grill Covers (Buying Guide)
A standalone grill is a major investment and the best way to take proper care of it and make sure it isn’t damaged by bad weather conditions, high winds, or harmful UV rays is to keep it protected with a high-quality grill cover. It may seem like a grill cover is one of the most straightforward pieces of equipment possible, just a simple cover.
However, there is much more involved in a heavy-duty grill cover that buyers should be on the lookout for when browsing through the wide selection on Amazon.
The two most obvious conditions that can harm a grill are rain and direct sunlight. Water can obviously harm the electrical functions of the grill and a wet igniter can cause the whole thing to malfunction. Direct sunlight can damage the finish on the grill and propane users have to take extra special care not to let their propane tanks sit in direct sunlight or very hot temperatures just to be on the safe side.
Ideally, the best grill cover will be water-resistant or waterproof as well as UV resistant so that it won’t fade after a short time outside. Most grill covers are built out of a polyester material that’s made to be tough.
Of course, the most important factor in any grill cover is the sort of grill it’s designed to cover. Portable grills, round grills, and larger propane grills all require different-sized covers to be properly shielded from the sun and rain. Many barbecue covers are designed to fit many models and the top of the market is riddled with products that are universally usable across all the major brands and models.
For those just getting into the world of outdoor grilling, there are a few brand names that come up again and again. They are far and away the most popular grill models and all grill covers should come with an indication of which of the major grills they are able to cover. Look out for brands like Weber, Brinkmann, Char Broil, Holland, and Jenn Air to know whether a particular grill cover is universal or not.
We’ve worked our way through the available grill covers on Amazon to come up with this buying guide to save some time for those who want to protect their barbecue grill when it’s not in use. Read on the get the full scoop on extending the life of your grill and check out our winner for the best grill cover at the end!
Why do I need a grill cover?
In addition to protecting your grill from sun and rain, a grill cover also prevents bugs and small animals from climbing inside the grate or getting into the propane tank area. Of course, no grill cover can guarantee to keep out every small bug that might fly its way into your grill, but a grill cover will make a huge difference in keeping your machine clean. That goes for dirt as well.
While it is good form to clean your grill after each use, there’s no reason why dirt that’s built up in between uses should have to be cleaned before you start grilling. Save yourself an additional grill cleaning with a grill cover that prevents dirt, dust, and other debris from damaging or dirtying your grill when it’s not in use.
How to put on a grill cover
Most grill covers are made of a polyester material. If this polyester material is a good quality one, then it will last a while through repeated use and also keep all the smaller things that can damage your grill away. Some have moisture-wicking treatments applied to make them water-resistant, while some are entirely waterproof. They should be tear-resistant to prevent holes forming since that would sort of defeat the purpose of placing the cover on your grill in the first place.
The better a cover fits on your barbecue grill the better it can protect the grill. Grill covers are often given built-in velcro straps, close straps, or some other kind of tethering mechanism that allows them to be more snugly tied to the grill. This keeps out the dirt, debris, and water better and also keeps the grill cover from being blown off the grill in high winds. Some models of grill cover will shift or even come off a grill at wind speeds as low as 10 MPH. There are several crafty ways to keep the grill cover on your BBQ grill in high winds. Check out the video at the end of this guide to learn one such tip!
If you can find a grill cover with zippered pockets of closure mechanisms, then you can really secure it around the grill and rest assured that it won’t shift except in the highest winds. Basically, to put on a grill cover, you just need to take two corners of it and pull it over the grill from the top. Pull it down until it covers the grill from top to bottom and then secure it with velcro straps or some other material. If you want to be able to depend on its cooking ability for the whole life of your grill, then fastening a grill cover well and regular cleanings are the best way to do so.
Best Grill Covers – Overview
1. VicTsing Waterproof Grill Cover
- Wide Compatibility: Heavy-duty protective grill cover measures: 58-inch x 24-inch x 44-inch. Check your grill's dimensions for proper fit. This gas grill cover fits most brands grill like Char Broil, Kenmore, Brinkmann, Nexgrill, Holland, Jenn Air and so on
- 600D Heavy-Duty Durable Material: This barbecue grill cover is made of 600D polyester fabric which is weather-resistant and dust-proof. Our grill cover can protect your grill from the elements of forces, such as wind, sand storms, sun and rain etc.
- Rip Resistant & UV Protection: The VicTsing bbq grill covers have EXTERIOR bound seams and high-density stitching for great water resistance and durability. UV resistant design provides exceptional durability to sunlight
- Perfectly Fit: There are padded handles and straps to keep grill cover stay in place. The convenient side straps at the bottom can help the cover fit perfectly and prevent the cover from being blown off
This heavy-duty protective grill cover will work with most major brands like Char Broil, Kenmore, Brinkmann, Nex Grill, Holland, Jenn Air, and more. It’s made out of 600D polyester material that’s super tough and will keep working to keep your grill in good condition for a long time.
The cover is weather-resistant, which makes it perfect for storms when the weather is too bad. Exterior bound seams and high-density stitching make this cover water-resistant in addition to its anti-UV ray design that will keep the finish on your grill from fading due to direct sunlight exposure.
Padded handles make this VicTsing grill cover easy to put on and side straps at the bottom ensure the cover will be a good fit and not budge during brutal wind conditions. If you want to wash the grill cover itself, all you have to do with this model is run some water over it to rinse away debris. Let it dry before using again.
- Nearly universal use
- 600D polyester material construction
- Padded handles and side straps
- Not waterproof
2. Unicook Heavy Duty Grill Cover
- 【Upgraded Material】- New special fade resistant fabric with vinyl coating, water repellent processed, the new material exhibits superior colorfastness, resists UV, repels rain, resists tears and cold cracking, durable and long-lasting, gives your grill all year round protection against sun, rain, snow, hail, wind, dust, dirt and etc.
- 【Handles and Straps】- Durable fabric handles at two sides for easy fitting and removal effortlessly in seconds. Handles can also be used for hanging and storage. Convenient heavy duty 1.5" wide fastening straps keep cover securely fastened and prevent cover from slipping or blowing off
- 【Covered Air Vents】- Wide covered mesh vents at both sides for air circulation to let moisture escape, the air circulation can also prevent your cover from blowing away by high winds
- 【Dimension】- Measures 55" width by 23" depth and 42" height, fits most grills with 3 to 4 burners, width between 47” and 53”. ﹡Not designed to cover the wheels entirely, the grill could be moved freely with cover on
Tough and weather-resistant, this Unicook grill cover has just about everything you need in a grill cover. UV protection and a water-repellent treatment built-in to the material make this cover ideal if your grill is stored somewhere where weather conditions give it a regular beating.
One design feature that makes this cover stand out is the wide mesh vents in either side for air circulation. A vent may not seem like something you need in a grill cover, but it’s great for letting moisture escape rather than building up while the cover is on.
A wide strap is attached to make sure this cover fits your grill and stays securely fastened to it even in high winds. Unicook was thoughtful enough to leave some space in this cover. It doesn’t cover the wheels of the grill, which means the grill can be moved with the cover on, a great feature for quick readjustments on the patio. There’s also a vinyl coating on the inside of the grill cover to ensure that contact between it and the grill won’t cause any damage to either item.
- UV protection
- Vents for circulation
- Doesn’t cover grill wheels
- Vinyl coating inside
- Not 300D polyester
3. Grillman Premium Grill Cover
- FITS ALL POPULAR GRILL BRANDS - Own a Weber, Char Broil or Brinkmann BBQ grill and looking for a high-quality, heavy-duty cover? Our extra-wide design ensures your GrillMan cover will fit the most popular brands. Grill cover dimensions are 58" Length x 24" Width x 48" Height.
- SUPER HEAVY-DUTY MATERIAL - Our grill covers are made with heavy-duty PVC-lined Oxford material that is waterproof, UV-resistant and tear-resistant meaning it will take whatever you throw at it, day in, day out
- WIND-RESISTANT - Never worry about your grill cover blowing away in strong winds thanks to the attached fabric hook and loop straps that can be tightened for a perfect fit
- LIFETIME REPLACEMENT GUARANTEE - The GrillMan gas grill cover is built to last a lifetime. If you have any issues with ripping or fading, simply contact us and we'll expedite a free replacement for life!
This Grillman is designed to fit all major grill brands and it’s built with some of the strongest material on the market. It’s a heavy-duty PVC-lined Oxford material that is waterproof, UV-resistant and tear-resistant to give your grill all the protection it can possibly get.
Grillman has constructed this grill cover with side straps as well as a fabric hook so it will fit just about any outdoor grill snugly and not be affected by high winds. Best of all, this grill cover comes with a lifetime replacement guarantee in case it should become faded or suffer a tear.
Just about everything about this cover is optimal, but it is quite large and may be overkill for smaller grills such as the Weber Spirit ii e310. It isn’t vented but it does well to keep a grill dry, even after a rainstorm.
- Heavy-duty oxford material
- Side straps and fabric hook
- Overkill for smaller grills
- No vents
4. Homitt Gas Grill Cover
- Dimensions: This Homitt bbq cover measures 58"L x 24"W x 48"H, fits most grills with 3 to 4 burners, width between 55 and 58inch. Fits for Weber BBQ grill, along with many other popular brands grill, such as charbroil, Broil King, brinkmann, jenn air, nexgrill, Royal Gourmet, Kenmore etc
- Upgraded Premium Material: Our gas grill covers are made of heavy duty waterproof 600D oxford fabric and PVC layer, prevent your grill from water, snow, ultraviolet, dust and so on, keep your barbeque grill clean like new
- Fading Resistant: UV resistant design prevents sun damage. UV resistant layer protects the grill cover from fading, extends service life. NOTE: Allow grill to cool before covering
- Handles and Straps: Handles at two sides of the cover make it easier to fit and remove. It can also be used for hanging and storage. With two widened velcro straps, you can tighten the cover securely over the grills, so the wind does not blow it away
Constructed with a heavy-duty waterproof 600D oxford fabric and featuring a PVC layer, this Homitt Gas grill cover is completely waterproof and offers great sun and UV ray protection. The cover itself is also fade-resistant, so it should say looking like-new for a long time before the black starts to show signs of lightening up. Handles at two sides make it easier to fit and remove this grill cover.
It can also be used for hanging and storing the cover when you’re using the barbecue. You can tighten the cover securely over the grills with two velcro straps so the wind does not blow it away. It’s a durable and ripstop cover that more than ably gets the job done.
Use the straps to lift the bottom of the cover if you’re worried about condensation inside the cover. There aren’t any side vents, but moisture isn’t a problem with this Homitt Gas Grill Cover anyway.
- Sun and UV protection
- Padded handles
- No vents
5. Kingkong 7130 Grill Cover
- Measure: 58L x 25W x 44.5H inch is available size of barbecue grill cover. The grill cover fits Genesis II 3 burner & Genesis 300 Series grills.
- Durable Quality & Elements resistant: Grill cover is made of Premium heavy duty polyester fabric with breathable to support water resistant, UV resistant and rip resistant. Bound edges offer totally protection for the BBQ cover from harsh environment. UV resistant design provides exceptional durability to sunlight. The cover for grill builds to last through all seasons, such as protect your grill against rain and snow for long lasting performance.
- Secure Fit & Wind Resistant: There are large Velcro straps on grill cover's two sides to provide a more fitted appearance, put on the BBQ cover for grill, and then tie Velcro straps. These straps will make grill covers tighter, keep the cover in place and will not be blown away by wind.
- Easy to Clean: The gas grill cover is easy to use and clean. Extremely easy to clean the grill cover, hose it down with water and let it dry in the sun. Easy to clean. Simply hose with water and the dirt will disappear soon. Dry up the gas grill cover in the sun for next use.
This is a solid barbecue grill cover and it really stands out against the competition because of the free gear that comes with it. A stainless steel grill brush, tongs, and a cooking thermometer are included. While that might not be enough to merit purchasing a shoddy grill cover, this Kingkong model is good enough on its own. The extra barbecue tools are just a cherry on top.
This Grill cover is made of premium heavy-duty polyester fabric with breathability. It’s water resistant, UV-resistant and rip-resistant. Bound edges offer complete protection for the BBQ cover from harsh weather conditions and strong sunlight. There are large velcro straps on two sides of the grill cover to provide a more fitted appearance and help when putting it on. These straps will make sure this cover fits grills of all varieties, including Weber models, as well as ensure the cover stays put on your grill in high winds.
- Stainless steel brush, tongs, thermometer included
- Heavy-duty polyester material
- Velcro straps for a snug fit
- Water-resistant and UV-resistant
- No straps on the bottom
6. Classic Accessories Ravenna Grill Cover
- PREMIUM GRILL COVERS: Guaranteed to fit barbecue grills 58" long x 24" deep x 48" high*
- WEBER GRILL COVER: Fits Weber Genesis II Gas Grill E-310 models, along with many other popular brands (Brinkmann, CharBroil, Jenn Air, etc)
- BBQ COVERS with WARRANTY: Limited lifetime warranty
- HEAVY DUTY GRILL ACCESSORIES: Gardelle One is a durable woven polyester fabric with an added UV-stabilized coating and a water-resistant laminated backing
This entry from Classic Accessories is a real winner, and not just because it’s one of the few models to come in a color other than black. From its construction, which is a durable woven polyester fabric called Gardelle One that has an added UV-resistant coating and a water-resistant laminated backing, to the reinforced padded handles and the various vents, this is definitely a leader in the market.
It’s incredibly functional and the way Classic Accessories have built it makes it a really tough object that should last a long time. They’ve also included a lifetime warranty in case anything should happen to damage the grill cover.
Double-stitched seams add strength to this grill cover. Water-resistant backing will work in tandem with the vents to keep your grill nice and dry through bad weather conditions. There are mesh barriers in the vents to prevent bugs from getting in.
This grill cover is mildew-resistant due to the circulation offered by the vents. For those who enjoy styling their patio or grilling area, Classic Accessories also makes covers for other patio furniture, which means this grill cover can match the others on your deck. It has a limited lifetime warranty which should be more convenient that a single-year warranty.
The only drawback is that this grill cover may be a little short; it isn’t meant to cover the bottom of a grill. In that way, the grill can be moved without taking the grill cover off, which is super handy but may not suit folks with smaller grills. That being said, for the majority of grillmasters this is the strongest grill cover on the market, which is why it’s our winner for the best grill cover.
- Mildew resistant
- Multiple air vents
- Padded handles
- Double stitching
- Not waterproof
- Doesn’t cover the bottom of grills
7. Weber 7130 Genesis II Cover
- Fits Genesis II 3 burner & Genesis 300 Series grills and Genesis II LX 300 series gas grills
- Premium heavy duty polyester fabric that is water & UV resistant along with breathable to help protect grill from elements
- Velcro straps provide a more fitted appearance, & keep it in Place during windy conditions
This is a simple grill cover that might suit those who find the Classic Accessories model to be too much for their grill. Its premium heavy-duty polyester fabric construction is water & UV resistant and breathable to help protect your grill from weather, sunlight, and the elements in general.
It also has Velcro straps provide a more fitted appearance and keep it in place during windy conditions. This grill cover is specifically designed for a Weber series of grills although it will likely fit on a few other models as well.
- Heavy-duty polyester material construction
- Velcro straps
- Specifically designed for Weber Genesis grills
Looking for a BBQ grill cover can be difficult because it’s sometimes hard to figure out what design features are available on the market and which are completely necessary either way. If you want a grill cover that can keep your grill clean and insect-free when you aren’t using it to barbeque and stows away easily when you are.
Water-resistant fabric and air vents are both essential to keep water out and away from your grill and stop mildew from growing. An elastic hem cord to guarantee a perfect fit will keep bugs and small animals at bay and also keep the grill cover on the grill, even in strong winds. You can use these cords to hang the grill cover up out of the way while you’re grilling out.
All of these elements are included in the Classic Accessories Ravenna Grill Cover, which is why it’s won the distinction of being our winner for the best grill cover. It’s made of a heavy-duty material and has adjustable straps to make sure it will fit grills of various brands. It may be a little short, but that helps when transporting a grill, and a guard skirt can always be purchased separately.
This grill cover is wind-resistant and should be able to protect your grill in the strongest winds. It’s a quality cover that will go a long way in extending the life of your grill, which is why it’s our winner. Look forward to using your grill for a long time and rest assured you won’t have to do any unnecessary cleanings or worry about weather damage with the best grill cover from Classic Accessories.
Bonus tip: Check out this neat trick to prevent your Weber grill cover from blowing away in high winds!