Best 2 Person Tent (Buying Guide)
For many hikers, backpackers, and campers, a reliable two-person tent is a base for any decent gear collection. Whether you’re a lightweight backpacker looking for a backcountry accommodation you can carry on your back, or a car camper searching for the fastest set-up time, the best two-person tent can fulfill your needs. A two-person tent can be a simple campsite shelter or a high-tech home in the wild, with a range of weights, sizes, and weather-resistance available.
We recently discussed the best inflatable tents available, an alternative to traditional tents made from fiberglass poles. However, you can never beat the classics, and outside of all the new high-tech tent options, many campers just want a simple but reliable accommodation. This is where the best two-person tent comes in, a tried and tested solution to shelter while camping. Many solo campers choose to use two-person tents, as they allow room for gear storage inside your accommodation. Of course, their most popular use remains for pairs of campers, all these tents have ample space to accommodate two outdoor adventurers.
1. Coleman 2-Person Sundome Tent
- Dome tent with a sturdy frame that withstands 35+ mph winds
- Easy setup in only 10 minutes. Good for backpacking
- WeatherTec system with patented welded floors and inverted seams to keep you dry
- Large windows and a ground vent for superior ventilation
The Coleman 2-Person Sundome is an economical choice for backcountry accommodation and a great choice for backpacking with a setup time of only 10 minutes. This dome-style tent has a sturdy frame with Insta-Clip pole attachments for quick setup, which can withstand winds of 35 miles per hour plus. This weatherproof tent will keep you dry in most rainstorms, as it comes with a rain fly with integrated daw awning, to make sure that the water stays out. Coleman uses a patented WeatherTec system which promises you won’t wake up in a puddle, featuring welded floors and inverted seams for the most watertight seal possible.
This is a durable backcountry accommodation and an intelligent choice for the camper on a budget. With double-thickness Polyguard fabric, the Coleman 2-Person Sundome Tent will last you through season after season, a tent that uses reliable materials is always a good choice. Two large windows help with air circulation and temperature control. A ground vent also helps prevent your tent from getting too stuffy on those hot summer nights, proper air ventilation makes a huge difference when you’re trying to keep cool while camping.
The interior of this tent measures 9 by 7 feet, with a center height of just under 5 feet. It’s not a huge space, but for sleeping two people in the backcountry it’s more than enough. The floor area fits one queen-size airbed, so it’s the ideal size. Most campers won’t be able to stand up inside this tent, but as a small-sized tent, this is a concession we’re willing to make. Handy storage pockets make it easy to keep track of small items, so personal belongings such as keys can stay organized in mesh compartments on the tent walls. Weighing in at 7 pounds, the Coleman 2-Person Sundome is easy to transport, it’s very lightweight. However, the tent easily packs down into a 2 foot by 6×6 inch carry bag, which isn’t optimal for hiking or backpacking.
This isn’t the highest quality two-person tent available, but such a cheap price, you can’t go wrong with a name brand like Coleman. Sure, this tent isn’t suitable for mountaineering or heavy rains, but as a simple summertime shelter, it’s a tent we recommend.
- Great value
- Mesh storage compartments
- One room design leaves little room for gear storage
- Won’t stand up to harsh weather conditions
2. ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 2-Person Tent
- There's no assembly frustration with our Lynx Tent series; this free-standing, aluminum two-pole design is a breeze to setup
- Polyester tent fly resists water and UV damage while adding two vestibules for extra storage space
- Fully equipped with #8 zippers, storage pockets, gear loft, aluminum stakes, guy ropes and two doorways
- The ALPS Mountaineering Lynx Tent is on our best sellers list; it’s a must-have for your next adventure
ALPS Mountaineering offers a no-nonsense fully reliable backcountry accommodation with its 2-Person Lynx tent, a worthy companion for your next adventure. A respected company like ALPS can be trusted to provide only the highest quality product, campers will receive a limited lifetime warranty upon purchase of this tent. At 6 pounds, this tent is a great choice for backpacking, even as a two-person tent it’s super lightweight and packable.
The tent frame is made from two aluminum poles, with a free-standing design so it’s really easy to set up. A 185T polyester rainfly adds water resistance UV protection, and simultaneously adds two vestibules to the tent structure, giving you plenty of space to stash your gear. The rain fly seams, as well as those on the floor, are factory sealed for the best protection from outside elements. The 75D poly taffeta floor is also coated and sealed, to the waterproofing on this tent is really sublime, however, this tent floor isn’t as durable as other options, you may need to lay down a ground tarp.
The zippers, commonly the most fragile part of a lightweight tent, are extra-large #8 zippers, on all doors and vestibules. The ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 2-Person tent is well equipped with storage pockets, so you can keep track of small personal belongings. This coupled with the gear loft gives this tent an edge over competitors, as 2-person tents often suffer with regards to storage space. The floor space inside is 5 x 7.6 feet, so this option is slightly larger than the previous tent. However, the standing room inside the Lynx is limited, as the ceiling height is less than four feet. It’s worth noting that with the tent fly, the footprint of your accommodation can be quite large. As a mountaineering tent, this isn’t a problem, but it makes it slightly less convenient for general campsite use.
- Extra space for gear storage
- 2 pole design is easy to setup
- Low ceiling
- Flimsy floor
- Best for mountaineering, less so for general use
3. BISINNA 2 Person Camping Tent
- 【Durable and High-Quality Material】: BISINNA Camping tent are made with high quality Material. The INNER TENT made with 190T Polyester Taffeta+B3 No-see-um Mesh; RAINFLY made by 190T Polyester Taffeta and guarantees PU2000mm water-resistant; TENT POLES made with lightweight and durable 7001 space aluminum, can supports most heavily wind rain.
- 【Roomy 2-person Tent for 3 Seasons】: With the unfolding size of (23.6+55+23.6) x 82.7 x 47.2 (H) inches / (60+140+60) x 210 x 110 H cm.BISINNA backpacking tent is spacious enough to accommodate up to two people, perfect for couples .The tent also has double layers that is suitable for 3 Seasons and preferred use for Hiking, Expeditions, Fishing, Kayaking, Car Camping, Backpacking, or Bikepacking.
- 【Breathable & Stable】: Large section of mesh and 2 D-shaped doors with dual zippers provide much better ventilation. Equipped with 8 lightweight Alloy Pegs and 2 Wind ropes, the tent has a high resistance of wind.
- 【Easy to set up & Freestanding】: Easy assembly, free-standing design with aluminum poles, it takes less than 10 minutes to set up the tent with double flysheets.
Another option for your next backcountry accommodation is the BISINNA 2 person tent, a three-season tent that’s perfect for hiking, backpacking, and camping. The inner tent is made from 190T polyester, with large sections of no-see-um mesh, so there’s plenty of airflow and ventilation. A rainfly covers the whole tent structure, made from the same 190T polyester with a PU2000mm water-resistant coating. Although this isn’t the strongest waterproofing available, it’s perfectly adequate for a general-use, 3-season camping tent.
The tent poles are made using lightweight but strong aluminum, capable of resisting strong winds and storms. With the double-layered fly sheets, this tent has an easy setup that promises to take less than 10 minutes. The takedown is easy too, and the thoughtfully designed carry bag has built-in compression straps so packing away is a breeze. Two large D-shaped doors make this tent very accessible, with easy temperature control for hot summer days.
The floor dimensions are 4.5 x 6.8 feet, so this tent is longer but narrower than some other options. This makes the BISINNA 2 person camping tent the ideal choice for tall campers, as the extra-long floor means you can stretch right out. We know finding camping equipment the right size can be a struggle when you’re taller than average, that’s why we also put together a handy guide on the best sleeping bags for tall people. On the other hand, the height of this tent is 3.6 feet, so there’s no standing room inside no matter how tall you are.
- The longer length is better for tall campers
- Plenty of no-see-um mesh makes for great ventilation
- Great carry bag
- Low roof height
- Narrow width
4. Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL 2-Person Backpacking Tent
- AWARD-WINNING COMFORT - Based on the features of our best-selling, award-winning Copper Spur ultralight tents, the Copper Spur HV UL features a high volume pole architecture that creates steeper walls and a roomier living space, while maintaining all the strength and lightweight packability the Copper Spur series is famous for
- A BETTER SHELTER - It’s not all about the volume; 2 large, dual-zipper doors with discrete seams allow for easy entry and smooth closure while creating a clean, modern design; Dual vestibules provide a combined area of 18 sq ft for dry gear storage; All seams taped with waterproof, solvent-free polyurethane tape (No PVC or VOC's); Fly and floor are ultra-durable with 1200mm waterproof rating
- ULTRALIGHT STRENGTH - 4-way, high-volume hub design increases strength by 25% and the useable interior volume by 20% compared to previous versions of the Copper Spur; Proprietary random rip-stop pattern nylon is 25% stronger, providing max durability; DAC Featherlite NFL and NSL pole system
- BELLS & WHISTLES - Storm flaps on both vestibule zippers; Massive ceiling pocket provides loads of storage; 2 interior mesh pockets, 1 oversized mesh pocket with two cord-routing portals; 8 superlight aluminum J stakes; Media pockets above sleeping area enable clean earbud cord routing; Easy grip zipper pulls; Two-tone mesh provides privacy while allowing for star gazing transparency
When it comes to lightweight backpacking tents, Big Agnes has some of the best. The ultra-lightweight Copper Spur HV UL features a specially designed tent frame, to create steeper walls and more room inside. Tent poles are lightweight while maintaining enough strength to provide a reliable and sturdy shelter. Two large double-zipper doors allow entry and exit from either side of the tent, while combined the dual vestibules provide a huge 18 square feet of dry space for gear storage. At a total trail weight of just over 3 pounds, this high-tech tent is the perfect backpacking solution for those who can afford the hefty price tag.
The Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2 is well equipped with extra features, so you’ll definitely get the value for your money. Storm flaps are installed on both vestibule zippers to make sure the weather stays out. In addition, both the tent floor and rainfly have a 1200mm waterproof rating. There’s so much storage space in the Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL that you won’t know what to do with it; a huge ceiling pocket, 2 interior mesh pockets, 1 oversized mesh pocket, and even media pockets for your small valuables above the sleeping area.
As an extremely lightweight tent, the tent material is very thin and the poles lightweight. Although the Big Agnes Copper Spur is plenty sturdy enough to withstand strong winds, human damage is a much more real threat. This tent is for dedicated campers only, care must be taken with such specialized equipment. While most customers have no problems with the durability of this camping tent, it’s worth noting that some question the strength of the materials.
- Ultra-lightweight, perfect for backpacking
- Tons of storage space
- Could be damaged if not properly looked after
- Zippers unreliable
5. MSR Hubba Hubba NX 2-Person Lightweight Backpacking Tent
- 3-season, 2-person backpacking tent that offers the most livable accommodations in a lightweight freestanding design
- Pole geometry maximizes space with 29 sq. feet of floor area, interior peak height of 39 inches, plus 17. 5 sq. feet of vestibule area
- Complete setup weighs 3. 9 lbs. and packs down to 18x6 inches; minimalist setup option uses footprint, poles, and rainfly and weighs 3. 5 lbs.
- Includes DuraShield Coating and DAC Featherlike NFL poles
MSR offers another ultralight backpacking tent for campers and backpackers, available in several configurations with a maximum weight of 3.5 lbs. A roomy interior maximizes floor area offering 29 square feet, plus an additional 17.5 square feet of gear storage space in vestibules either side of this 2-person tent. Customers who choose to purchase the MSR Hubba Hubba NX2 from Amazon can pick between a simpler setup with a DuraShield Coating and DAC Featherlite NFL tent poles, or a more high-tech tent featuring the Xtreme Shield Waterproof Coating (making your waterproofing last up to three times as long) and Eastern Cyclone Poles (for more strength in the fiercest winds and storms).
Don’t worry about durability with the MRS Hubba Hubba, as it comes with a 3-year manufacturer’s limited warranty, and is made using 20-denier ripstop nylon. Campers will find a valued backcountry companion in this tent, with its unified hub-and-pole system setup has never been easier. If you struggle with pitching your tent or often find yourself putting up your shelter for the night in a rush, we recommend this super intuitive tent.
There’s also an intelligently designed ventilation system installed in this tent, only adding to its usability as a three-season tent. To eliminate condensation and stale atmospheres, the tent has a cross-ventilating rainfly with kickstand vent, huge mesh panels to allow light and airflow, and even a roll-up panel for stargazing. When it’s time to pack away, a handy compression sack makes it easy to fit back into your backpack. The weakest part of this tent is the floor, which we’d have liked to see reinforced with some more durable materials. As it stands, after a few years of use you’re likely to wear holes in the tent floor, so we recommend coupling your tent with a groundsheet tarp or tent footprint.
- Ultralight, great for backpacking
- Plenty of gear storage space
- Option for stronger weatherproofing
- No headroom, height is 3.25 feet
- Flimsy tent floor, holes possible
6. Nemo Hornet Ultralight Backpacking Tent
- THE MASTER OF ULTRALIGHT - The updated Hornet offers unmatched livability and comfort for its weight; NEMO’s patent-pending Flybar volumizing clip adds even more interior volume, while top shelf fabrics and a minimal pole structure make it even lighter than the previous generation
- LIGHTWEIGHT & LIVABLE - The 2P model is one of the only free-standing tents in the sub-2 lb category with two doors and two large vestibules; Flybar pole clip adds more headroom and increased stability; Volumizing guyouts connect the inner tent to the rainfly, pulling the sidewalls outward to create more livable space; 2P model has a minimum weight of 1 lb 15 oz, a packed weight of 2 lb 6 oz, and packs down to 19.5 x 5.5 in dia
- WEATHERTIGHT & RUGGED - Premium 10D Nylon Ripstop fly with silicone water repellent is extremely light and durable; DAC Featherlite poles boast minimal weight and connect with a single hubbed intersection for lightning-quick setup; Canopy: 10D Nylon Ripstop & No-See-Um Mesh; Fly: 10D Sil/PeU Nylon Ripstop (1200 mm waterproof); Floor: 15D Sil/PeU Nylon Ripstop (1200 mm waterproof)
- PERKS & DETAILS - Guyouts and struts at corners increase volume at the foot, protecting sleeping bags from wall condensation; Unique Divvy dual stage stuff sack makes it easy to divide the load with a partner; Diffusing Light Pockets turn your headlamp into a tent lantern
If you’re looking to purchase one of the lightest backpacking tents available, then the Nemo Hornet Ultralight Backpacking Tent is one you should consider. An ultralight trail weight of just under 2lbs makes this tent our lightest so far. Nemo achieves this whilst maintaining a roomy interior and plenty of storage space inside this tent, so it’s definitely a viable option. The Nemo Hornet 2P is actually one of the only existing free-standing tents weighing less than 2 pounds that offers this much interior space for two people.
The rainfly is made from premium 10D ripstop nylon, light and durable material treated with a silicone water repellent. The tent body is made using the same durable material, alongside no-see-um mesh window panels, which allow for airflow, stargazing, and of course for light to enter. Nemo uses Flybar pole clip technology (patent pending) to maximize interior volume, so you’ll get the most out of your backcountry living space. Similarly, guy lines are strategically placed around the base of the tent to increase foot space, preventing soggy sleeping bags due to wall condensation. We really love this feature, because there’s nothing worse than waking up in a wet sleeping bag.
Another wonderful element that Nemo has added to this tent is the dual storage stuff sacks, so you can share the weight ratio of this 2-person tent with your camping partner. However, this isn’t the perfect two-person camping tent, for example, the setup can be trickier than other models we’ve discussed. If you need a speedy pitch time and pack-away, you might want to consider one of the other tents we mentioned which have a more intuitive design. Additionally, because this is one of the lightest tents available, weight restrictions might mean you aren’t well equipped. Some customers have found they need additional tent pegs to ensure their tent is pitched safely, and this adds to the trail weight of this product.
- Weighs less than 2lbs
- Dual storage bags
- Very roomy tent interior
- Possible additional pegs add weight
- Setup time is longer than other options
7. Marmot Limelight 2 Person Camping Tent with Footprint
- Body Zone Pre-Bends Create Vertical Walls for a more spacious living area
- 1 super-sized double door and rear D shaped door with 2 Vestibules
- Lamp shade pocket securely holds your headlamp to provide ambient light
- Strategic clip placement provides larger interior volume
If you’re looking for 2 person accommodation, but have no need for an ultralight backpackers tent, then consider the Marmot Limelight. This 5lb 2oz tent is still not heavy, but it’s more suited to car camping than backpacking. Marmot aims to keep it simple with this 2-person camping tent, offering a spacious living area and plenty of space to keep your gear organized. For easy entry and exit, the Marmot Limelight has one extra-large double front door, with an additional rear D-shaped door, where the extra storage vestibules are located. Plenty of interior storage pockets make it easy to keep track of small valuables, and all seams are sealed and taped to keep your stuff safe and dry.
One issue we had with this tent is the lack of air vent in the rain fly. This is a fairly simple feature, but it makes a big difference to airflow, and in such a high-tech tent we would expect this common add-in. Also, as a two-person accommodation, you might find this one to be a bit cramped, as some customers find it’s much more convenient as a one-person tent with lots of storage room.
- Economical use of space
- 2 doors for accessibility
- No air vent in rain fly
- Cramped for two people
The best backpacking tents and ultralight tents sit within a range of weights, prices, and use of high-tech features. When choosing our best tent for two people, we have to consider value for money as well as the use of space, packability, ease of use, and several other important elements. Our top pick must have good weatherproofing, with plenty of interior pockets, and be constructed from high-quality materials.
Our winner is the Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL 2-Person backpacking tent. We think it’s the best lightweight tent available, it’ll last you through years of backpacking trips. Big Agnes has highly intuitive tent designs, and the Copper Spur is no exception with a high level of livability and great protection from bad weather. Although it lacks the large vestibules for your backpack and trekking poles that some other options feature, the Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2 makes up for it with endless interior pockets. We know Big Agnes doesn’t make cheap tents, but this one is a fantastic investment guaranteed to serve you well. A worthwhile addition to your backpacking gear, the Big Agnes Copper Spur is our top pick for the best 2 person tent.
Bonus tip: Watch this video to see how you setup our winner!