10 Best Blackout Tents That Block Out The Sun (2022)
Just because the sun is an early riser doesn’t mean you have to be too. Most standard camping tents allow the sun to shine in, which may be great during the day but annoying at six in the morning. However, there’s been an increasingly popular solution, and they’re called blackout tents.
Blackout tents are designed to block out the sunlight and help keep the inside of your tent cool. This is especially helpful in hot, sunny areas where cloud cover is limited. It can also be helpful for families with small children who need to take midday naps since the dark interior mimics nighttime.
Camping in a tent should be like a home away from home, and if you have blackout curtains in your bedroom, you’ll surely appreciate the features of blackout tents. Conventional campers, festival-goers, parents, and light-sleepers can all benefit from blackout tents, and these top 10 blackout tents can help you find the best one for you.
Best Blackout Tents That Block Out The Sun – Winners
- Best Blackout Bedroom Tent: Coleman Rocky Mountain 5 Plus
- Best Budget-Friendly Blackout Tent: Coleman Dark Room Skydome 4
- Best Stargazing Blackout Tent: Ozark Trail Dark Rest Cabin 6
- Best Blackout Tent for Large Families: Ozark Trail Dark Rest Instant Cabin 12
- Best Cabin Blackout Tent: Coleman Dark Room Instant Cabin 10
- Best Pop-up Blackout Tent: Quechua 2 Second Fresh & Black 3
- Best Blackout Tent with the Best Views: Coleman Octagon Blackout Tent
- Best Inflatable Blackout Tent: Crua Duo Combo Inflatable Dark Rest Tent
- Best Blackout Tent with Large Front Porch: Coleman Granite Peak Tent with Blackout Bedrooms
- Best Blackout Tent with Screen Room: Coleman Dome Dark Room Tent with Screen Room
Best Blackout Bedroom Tent
1. Coleman Rocky Mountain 5 Plus
Outdoor camping means you get to enjoy the sunshine more than you probably do in your daily life, but that also means it may wake you up as soon as it rises. The Coleman Rocky Mountain 5 Plus is designed with two blackout bedrooms divided by a room divider and a spacious, bright living area. The blackout design blocks out 99% of sunlight, which not only helps you sleep in longer, but it also helps keep the interior cooler. During the day, it’s said to keep the inside five degrees cooler, which can make a big difference on hot days.
In the living area are two large, PVC windows with covers for when you need privacy or rain protection. Since only the sleeping areas come equipped with blackout technology, you have the option of hanging out in the sunshine or the darker rooms.
This tent has a 4500 mm waterproof rating, backed up by the taped seams and sewn-in groundsheet. UV guard provides sun protection of up to SPF 50, so no matter what the weather, you can be comfortable. Check it out on Amazon.
Dimensions: 15′ x 10′ x 6′
- Fits up to five campers
- Two large blackout bedrooms
- Darkroom technology blocks 99% of sunlight and keeps the interior cooler
- Large PVC windows in the living area to let light in
- Covers on the windows to provide privacy and rain protection
- 4500 mm waterproof rating
- Taped seams and sewn-in groundsheet
- UV guard provides sun protection up to SPF 50
- Full height door for easy entry and exit
- Lightweight and flexible fiberglass poles
- Pricey compared to other camping tents
Best Budget-Friendly Blackout Tent
2. Coleman Dark Room Skydome 4
Just because you’re on a budget, it doesn’t mean you have to give up what you love most about camping. The blackout technology of the Coleman Dark Room Skydome 4 blocks up to 90% of sunlight and helps reduce the heat inside. This can allow for a more comfortable camping experience, and since the setup only takes about five minutes, you can spend more time relaxing.
The shape of the tent, with its nearly vertical walls, helps provide 20% more headroom compared to other dome tents. You won’t have to worry about the rain thanks to the WeatherTec system, which is designed with a tub-like floor, patented welded corners, and inverted seams. The frame is durable and strong, withstanding up to 35 mph winds.
There is a wide door for convenient access, and inside can fit up to four sleeping bags or one queen-sized air mattress. Save room by storing your items in the mesh pockets and gear loft. Find this tent now on Bass Pro Shops or Amazon.
Dimensions: 8′ x 7′
- Blackout technology blocks 90% of sunlight and helps keep the interior cooler
- Quick, five minute set up
- 20% more headroom allows plenty of space to stand up and move around
- WeatherTec system provides protection from rain and water
- Tub-like floor, patented welded corners, and inverted seams
- A strong frame that can withstand up to 35 mph winds
- Wide door for easy access
- Fits four sleeping bags or one queen-sized air mattress
- Mesh storage pockets and gear loft
- Guy lines included to secure the rainfly
- No floor vent which could help with ventilation
Best Stargazing Blackout Tent
3. Ozark Trail Dark Rest Cabin 6
The sky is clear, the weather is perfect, and it seems like a great night to stargaze. With the Ozark Trail Dark Rest Cabin 6, the skylights make it easy to fall asleep under the stars. When you’re ready to cover the roof, you can roll the ceiling panels to your desired position. It’s also designed with three large windows, so you can have a great view no matter where you’re sitting. If it starts to rain, the rainfly with sealed seams helps keep the water out.
This tent can fit up to six sleeping bags or two queen-sized air mattresses, but you probably won’t need everyone’s help to set it up. The instant cabin-style means the poles are pre-attached, making set up easy and take about 60 seconds.
The dark rest technology helps block out the sunlight, so when you’re ready to wake up, your body will wake you up and not the sun. Find it on Amazon.
Dimensions: 10′ x 9′ 5′
- Dark rest technology helps block sunlight
- Large skylights make for great stargazing
- Adjustable ceiling panels
- Three large windows for great views all around
- Rainfly with sealed seams
- Instant cabin-style allows for setup in 60 seconds
- No assembly required due to pre-attached poles
- Gear loft and organizer for convenient storage
- E-port for electronic devices
- Not intended for windy conditions
Best Blackout Tent for Large Families
4. Ozark Trail Dark Rest Instant Cabin 12
The Ozark Trail Dark Rest Instant Cabin 12 is a large tent great for camping with family since it can fit up to 12 sleeping bags or four queen-sized air mattresses, and it comes equipped with removable room dividers that create a three-room layout. The dark rest technology helps block the sunlight, so the whole family can sleep in or take a midday nap. You won’t have to worry about your family becoming restless as you set up the tent because the instant cabin style allows for a short, two-minute setup.
When the sun sets and the stars come out, you can pull back the ceiling panels and spend the night stargazing. Nine, large windows provide great views of the outdoors but can be shut for privacy or rain protection. A seam-sealed rainfly adds even more protection from rainy conditions.
Ground vents help create airflow, and the dark rest design helps keep the interior cool. This 12 person tent can be great for large families or groups that love a comfortable living space and great views of the outdoors. Find it on Amazon.
Dimensions: 20′ x 10′
- Sleeps up to 12 sleeping bags or four queen-sized air mattresses
- Removable room dividers for added privacy
- Dark rest technology blocks the sunlight and keeps the interior cool
- Quick two minute setup time
- No assembly required due to pre-attached poles
- Adjustable ceiling panels for better stargazing or protection
- Nine, large windows
- Seam-sealed rainfly
- Ground vents for better ventilation
- 80″ center height
- Only has one door for entry and exit
Best Cabin Blackout Tent
5. Coleman Dark Room Instant Cabin 10
Just one of the advantages of buying a cabin tent is the extra space and headroom that comes with the straight wall design. The Coleman Dark Room Instant Cabin Tent can fit up to 10 sleeping bags or four queen-sized air mattresses comfortably. With a center height of almost seven feet, just about everyone will have no issue moving around in this tent, and the removable room divider creates two rooms for added privacy.
Sleeping past the sunrise has never been easier with the darkroom technology that blocks 90% of the sunlight and helps keep the interior cool. If you’re worried about the rain, the rainfly and WeatherTec system is designed for ultimate protection. Inverted seams and welded corners help keep the water outside where it should be.
The easy setup feature is just an added bonus as it takes about 60 seconds to set up and to take down. Check it out on Amazon.
Dimensions: 14′ x 10′
- Cabin style tent provides more headroom and a 6′ 7″ center height
- Can fit up to 10 sleeping bags or four queen-sized airbeds
- Removable room divider for a two-room layout
- Darkroom technology to block 90% of the sunlight and keep the interior cool
- Rainfly to protect from the rain
- WeatherTec system with inverted seams and welded corners to keep water out
- Easy 60-second setup and takedown
- Reflective guy lines to avoid tripping on them in the dark
- Not intended for windy conditions
Best Pop-up Blackout Tent
6. Quechua 2 Second Fresh & Black 3
When you’re backpacking, the last thing you want to do after a long day of hiking is spent time and energy putting up a tent. With the Quechua 2 Second Fresh & Black 3, it only takes about two seconds to set up and take down, and it’s freestanding, so you don’t have to worry about nailing in a bunch of pegs.
The Fresh & Black patented exterior maintains 99% darkness inside even during broad daylight. An included flysheet that has two extendable side panels that can be fastened with guy ropes helps provide great ventilation and reduce condensation. Sealed seams help prevent rain from leaking through, and the structure is able to withstand winds up to 30 mph.
This high-quality tent is ideal for beginning campers or backpackers wanting a quick and easy tent. Find it on Amazon.
Dimensions: 5.9′ x 6.8′
- Extremely fast two-second setup and takedown
- Fresh & Black patented exterior blocks 99% of sunlight
- Flysheet with two extendable side panels
- Panels for ventilation and reduced condensation
- Breathable polyester underneath the flysheet to prevent condensation inside
- Can withstand up to 30 mph winds
- It may be too small for some campers
Best Blackout Tent with the Best Views
7. Coleman Octagon Blackout Tent
Camping in the wilderness can be beautiful, and if you don’t have the right tent, you may miss all the views. With the Coleman Octagon Blackout Tent, you can remove the waterproof rainfly and turn it into one large screen room. Six large windows help create a 360-degree view of the outdoors around you. There are two hinged, full-height doors for convenient entry and exit.
When it’s time to go to sleep, the blackout bedroom will block 99% of the sunlight, as well as keep it cooler during the hot days and nights. This tent is highly waterproof due to the WeatherTec system with fully taped seams and sewn-in groundsheet.
Like other Coleman tents, this one is easy to set up and comes equipped with color-coded steel poles for convenience and wind protection. Check it out on Amazon.
Dimensions: 13′ x 13′ x 7′
- Blackout technology blocks 99% of sunlight
- Waterproof rainfly can be removed to create one large screen room
- Six large windows for a 360-degree view
- Two hinged, full-height doors for convenient entry and exit
- WeatherTec system provides fully taped seams and sewn-in groundsheet
- Color-coded poles for easy setup
- Steel poles offer extra wind protection
- 4500 mm waterproof rating
- Included wheeled carry bag
- Can fit up to seven people
- No-See-Um mesh for extra insect protection
- Heavy compared to other tents this size
Best Inflatable Blackout Tent
8. Crua Duo Combo Inflatable Dark Rest Tent
Inflatable tents are becoming increasingly popular among campers, which is probably due to their easy setup and lightweight design. The Crua Duo Combo Inflatable Dark Rest Tent has insulated tent fabric that not only helps block out the sun but also noise, so you can get a good night’s sleep. The insulation helps keep the heat out in the summer and the cold out in the winter, so it is designed for almost all weather conditions.
Since the inner tent is inflatable, you won’t need complicated instructions to set it up, but you will need an air pump. The outer tent comes equipped with an aluminum frame and 5,000HH polyester to help keep the rain out. This tent is ideal for a solo camper or a couple since it can fit up to two people. Find it on Amazon.
Dimensions: 4.4′ x 6.8′ x 4′
- Inflatable cocoon is easy to set up
- The inner tent is insulated to help keep the sun and noise out
- The outer tent comes with an aluminum frame for durability
- Four season tent
- 5,000HH polyester helps keep the rain out
- Lightweight compared to other tents
- Closable vents provide airflow
- Pricey compared to other tents
Best Blackout Tent with Large Front Porch
9. Coleman Granite Peak Tent with Blackout Bedrooms
When you’re not hanging out in your tent, you probably want to be outside enjoying the sun or maybe the shade. The Coleman Granite Peak Tent comes equipped with a large, removable awning that extends out for a front porch-like feel. This is great for lounging, eating, or setting up a grill for cooking. The awning can be removed or kept on the whole camping trip.
Since this is a tunnel tent, it’s not freestanding and does require you to stake it down, but this helps protect it from stronger winds. The sleeping areas are designed with blackout technology that helps block out 99% of the sunlight and keeps you cool. There are two blackout bedrooms split by a room divider, a living area with four windows, and a double layer mesh and panel door to help keep rain or bugs out.
It has a high waterproof rating as all the mesh can be closed, but the vents help provide ventilation. Up to four people can fit in this tent, and the large porch area makes it a great option to invite fellow campers over to hang out. Find it on Amazon.
Dimensions: 13′ x 10′ x 6.5′
- Blackout bedrooms block out 99% of sunlight and help keep you cool
- A large, removable awning is great for lounging, cooking, or shade
- Tunnel tent-style can withstand strong winds
- Two bedrooms with room divider for privacy
- Double-layer mesh and panel door for insect and rain protection
- 4500mm waterproof rating
- Vents help provide ventilation
- Good for cooler weather due to the double layer bedrooms
- Six storage pockets
- Can take longer to set up
Best Blackout Tent with Screen Room
10. Coleman Dome Dark Room Tent with Screen Room
Bothersome insects can kill the mood of a camping trip, but if you have a tent with a screen room, you can help avoid them. The screen room on the Coleman Dome Dark Room Tent can be used as a protected front porch area or even as an extra storage space for your camping gear. With a full floor in the screen room, you won’t have to worry about insects crawling in from the ground, and you may even find yourself sleeping in it when it’s warmer out.
The darkroom technology in the tent helps block 90% of sunlight, so sleeping in after sunrise shouldn’t be an issue. The blackout design is also able to keep you almost 10% cooler than standard camping tents, and the WeatherTec system helps keep you dry during rainy conditions.
The strong frame can withstand up to 35 mph winds, and the poly guard fabric is durable through multiple camping seasons. This tent can fit up to four sleeping bags or one queen-sized mattress. Find it on Amazon.
Dimensions: 9′ x 7′
- Darkroom technology blocks out 90% of sunlight and keeps you 9.5% cooler compared to standard camping tents
- The attached screen room provides an extra area for bug-free lounging or storage
- Full room in the screen room for extra protection
- WeatherTec system with the tub-like floor, patented welded corners, and protected seams help provide protection from the rain
- The strong frame can withstand up to 35 mph winds
- Window awnings allow you to keep windows open even in the rain
- Illumiline reflective guy lines for extra visibility
- Durable poly guard fabric
- Storage pockets for organization
- E-port for electronic devices
- Shorter 4′ 11″ center height may be too short for some campers
How Do Blackout Tents Work?
No, it’s not magic. Blackout tents are great for the summer months because they block out the sun and help keep the interior cooler than a standard camping tent would. Not all tents use the same fabric or strategy when building blackout tents. Just look at the Crua Duo Combo Inflatable Dark Rest Tent; it’s unique from the other tents on the list as it’s technically two tents in one to create the blackout feature. Without the cocoon inside, it would be more similar to a conventional tent.
Depending on which tent or brand you decide upon, they may use a reflective-like fabric that works not to absorb the heat. The Quechua 2 Second Fresh & Black 3 is a good example of this since the white exterior helps not to absorb the heat, and the dark interior keeps the light out.
Other tents, most commonly, use a light-absorbing or diffusing fabric. You may be familiar with this if your bedroom has blackout curtains hanging. The threads are woven very tightly, and there are several layers of fabric that work together to keep the sun out.
If you’re not an early riser and prefer to sleep in in the mornings, blackout tents are made for you. Even though you’re sleeping outdoors, it doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice any shut-eye.