Best Camping Utensils (Buying Guide)
Portable sets of utensils have become a must-have for the eco-friendly. Having one in our bag means we never have to use disposable plastic cutlery, or even straws, again. On a camping trip, a utensil set can make or break your dinner around the campfire. Although many opt for a spork, due to its portability, we wouldn’t recommend these for longer trips where you are planning on cooking full meals. But for shorter backpacking trips, they could be exactly what you need: check out our complete buying guide for sporks.
Here we will review the best camping utensils, that all have options where you can have one piece of cutlery in each hand. After all, eating a full meal with one hand can get a bit tiresome. For most of us outdoors enthusiasts, who want to keep their backpacks as light as possible, the most important feature of a camping utensil set is the material. To start, we will take a look at a material that many great ultralight utensils are made of titanium.
Titanium’s most significant advantage is its ultralight performance. Titanium utensils are about 45% lighter than steel and stronger than aluminum. It is the lightest cookware material you can buy without sacrificing strength, so it’d be perfect for those who are looking to get a bit of weight off their backs, even down to ounces, especially if you’re backcountry or primitive camping. Titanium is also corrosion-resistant and durable, which are both necessary features to have in all of your outdoors kits.
However, titanium is expensive: you pay to shed the extra pounds. So we’ve reviewed some of our favorite models of camping utensils, for whatever camping trip you have in mind.
Best Camping Utensils- Overview
1. Esbit Ultra Lightweight Titanium Cutlery 3 Piece Set with Fork, Spoon, and Knife
- Ultra-lightweight fork, spoon, and knife made from durable, lightweight, heat resistant and highly biocompatible titanium
The main selling point of this product is that it’s uber lightweight. Weighing just 1.5oz, you won’t even notice the difference when you’re carrying these around in your backpack. Their lightness comes from their high-grade, but low-weight materials: titanium. Despite weighing almost nothing, these utensils are actually very durable, and will really last you for your outdoor adventure, no matter what it throws at you. Other benefits of titanium utility cutlery sets, except for them being durable, and lightweight are: they’re also heat resistant, extremely strong, non-corrosive, non-magnetic, and produce no metallic taste.
Some camping utensils are designed more for portability than they are for creating a good eating experience. This set does both. Unlike some models, it has a deep spoon, which is perfect for eating soups, or your cereal in the morning. Although not quite a backpacking knife, the knife is similarly well designed. Many camping knives are quite blunt and are designed more for eating soft foods. This titanium knife has a serrated edge that is sharp enough to cut meat or vegetables. The lightly textured handle is also really comfortable and easy to grip, meaning your hand won’t get tired from repeated cutting tasks.
This compact utensil set, when packed, has the following dimensions: 1.6″ x 7.1″ (4.0 cm x 18.1 cm). Choose this option if you don’t mind spending a little extra on your camping kit. At just under $30, this certainly isn’t the cheapest option on the market. But with a little rubber sleeve, which effectively keeps your cutlery together, and with its tiny size and weight, this option wins in terms of portability. It’s also extremely easy to use and clean. The smooth, polished surfaces are easy to rinse clean while out and about; plus, Esbit Titanium Cutlery is completely dishwasher safe. So consider this option if you’re a backpacker, willing to spend a little extra, to have the best of both worlds of portability and ease of use and cleaning.
- Non-corrosive and non-magnetic, hypoallergenic
- Ultra-light: the entire Esbit Titanium Cutlery set weighs just 1.5oz.
- Easy to clean and dishwasher safe
- Quite expensive at just under $30
- Can’t put too much pressure on these utensils, they could bend
2. Multi-Function Universal Outdoor Travel Camping Utensil Set Knife Fork Spoon
- Material: durable, lightweight stainless steel
If you’re unwilling to spend the big bucks on camping utensils, at only $6.28, this set is great value for money. After all, utensils can bend in your bag, potentially you might lose one of the elements while in transit, especially if you have utensils for a group or family camping trip. You might decide, therefore, it’s a more effective use of your money to opt for a cheaper set of utensils, and replace them over time if they are bent or lost.
Another feature of this product which makes it stand out is that this is a four in one set: a spoon, fork and knife, and a bottle opener built into the knife. This is also a very compact set and has a unique design for keeping all the elements together. To detach the units, all you need to do is slide utensils, aligning buttons to the handle holes, and lift to separate from the spoon. And then to take them apart again: slide utensil, aligning buttons to the handle holes, and lift to separate from the spoon. Easy!
- Unique attachable clip-on design, to keep the utensils together
- Comes with a handy carry case
- Lightweight and compact: 5 x 6 x 2 inches and only 2.88 ounces
- Very cheap, great value for money, 4 in 1
- Stainless steel
- The spoon is not that deep, so not great for soups
- Isn’t the lightest option
- The knife isn’t serrated or very sharp, so not designed for preparing food
3. Devico Portable Utensils, Travel Camping Cutlery Set, 8-Piece
- Health and environmental protection: DEVICO portable travel cutlery set is made of high quality food grade stainless steel. Forget the flimsy, plastic cutlery when eating on the go. Mirror finished...
This product is the perfect option for you if you want a chic, portable utensils set, that you can carry with you everywhere, not just on your next outdoor adventure. With its minimalist design, and trendy felt carry case, you’ll want to take these utensils with you beyond the campsite: to your office to have your lunch in style, or on a day trip, as a chic, eco-friendly alternative to take with you and eat anywhere. You’ll be the envy of your colleagues, and everyone on the campsite!
An 8 piece set of Silverware, this product boasts a simple appearance, smooth edges without rough spots, anti-oxidation, stylish and ergonomic design. Another benefit of this product, which isn’t always the case when it comes to camping utensils, is that the individual pieces are generous, with long handles. There will be more than enough room to eat your soup or cut your meals properly. In this set comes the following: chopsticks, dinner knife, dinner fork, dinner spoon, straight straw, bent straw, straw cleaning brush, carry case.
Devico portable travel cutlery set is made of high-quality food-grade stainless steel and causes no harm to the human body. These products are durable and healthy for everyday use, and are also super easy to clean, as they’re easy to wipe and dishwasher safe. With a lifetime warranty and a 60-days refund or replacement, you can guarantee this product will stand you the test of time. We’d recommend this set of camping utensils to the style-conscious eco-friendly camper, who wants to find a long term solution for their culture needs, that will fit any environment.
- 8-piece set for all your dining needs
- Scandi-Chic, minimalist design
- Dishwasher safe
- Lifetime warranty and a 60-days refund or replacement.
- Regular sized tableware might be too big and bulky for some campers
- Nearly 9oz
4. HIKENTURE 4-in-1 Camping Utensil Stainless Steel Fork Knife Spoon Bottle Opener Set with Storage Case
- 4 IN 1 CAMPING CUTLERY: Detachable fork, spoon, knife and bottle opener
If the last option of utensil set was just too fussy or had too many options for you, one like this may suit you much better. This is a four in one utensil set, where each piece of cutlery folds out, almost like a utensil multi-tool: with a detachable fork, spoon, knife, and bottle opener. This set is really lightweight and portable, weighing just 4 ounces. It also comes with a fine nylon carrying case, so you can easily transport this vamping utensil set with you on any backpacking adventure.
This option is also eminently durable. It’s rust-free and is made of stainless steel throughout, making it sturdy without losing its lightness. The handle is made from aluminum, it is easy to clean and totally rust-free. Another benefit of this model, which isn’t always the case with camping utensils, is that the knife is actually sharp enough to use for heavy-duty tasks. Instead of having to bring out your trusty multi-tool to prepare your meal, this piece of cutlery is sharp enough to prepare food, even meat. However, because it’s so sharp, you have to be careful not to fold out the knife when you use the can opener, to protect your hands.
Another benefit of this model is that it separates so you can use the knife and fork at the same time as you eat. All you need to do is detach the fork from the tableware set, and fold the spoon when you use the knife. However, the spoon and knife are not detachable, so don’t go for this option if you want an entire set of separate cutlery. You might desire the design is right for you, despite this drawback, and it means all f the parts always stay neatly together in your backpack, so you won’t end up losing anything.
- 4in1 camping cutlery: detachable fork, spoon, knife and bottle opener
- Stainless steel
- Separates for use of the knife and fork at the same time
- Lightweight and portable size: 4.2 x 1.5 x 1.1 inches, 4oz
- Sharp knife, can use it to prep food
- Not that easy to clean the mechanism where the cutlery is stored
- The Velcro on the pouch is too small, and not held onto the cloth very securely
- The fork doesn’t have a lock button, so might fold up slightly when in heavy use
5. Orblue 2-PACK 4-in-1 Camping Utensils – Portable Stainless-Steel Camping Spoon, Fork, Knife and Can/Bottle Opener
- PERFECT CAMPING SiILVERWARE OR HIKING FLATWARE - Handy camp utensils expands to full-size, making it easy to eat without a mess. And folds down like a pocket knife that will fit in your go to bag -...
If you liked the simplicity, portability, and design of the last product, but you are planning on going camping as a couple then this could be the right option for you. At only $15 for two sets, this option represents really good value for money. Similarly, the removable camping fork can be held in one hand, with a spoon and knife in the other. With the price point, you might even consider going for this option to have a spare set of utensils on hand or to have one in different bags, so you’ve always got reusable, eco-friendly cutlery to eat your lunch with.
These handy camp utensils expand to full-size, making it easy to eat without a mess unlike with some of the other smaller options. The spoon is even big enough that you could use it while preparing food as a cooking utensil: stirring soup for example. But because it folds down like a pocket knife that will fit in your go-to bag, to 4.3 x 1.6 in, this is a really portable product.
And despite their small carry size, these utensil sets are made from heavy-duty professional kitchen materials. Constructed from non-stick stainless steel with a polished coating you can trust that they will not rust. Another benefit over the previous product is that there are no plastic parts. It’s easy to clean on the move and dishwasher safe for when you return.
- Pack of two, so a cheaper option at $15
- Compact and easy to carry in your backpack: full size 7.5 x 1.6 in.; folded 4.3 x 1.6 in.
- Non-stick stainless steel with polished coating, will not rust
- Sharp knife, so you can prep food with it
- Design means you need to be careful of the sharp knife as you use the bottle opener
- Knife is not well balanced, not suited for heavy-duty cutting tasks
6. Tapirus Spork to Go V8 Set – 8 Colorful Durable and BPA Free Sporks – Spoon, Fork and Knife Combo Utensils Flatware Mess Kit
- THE ULTIMATE SPORK MESS KIT SET FOR ALL: If you are looking for effective ways to make camping an easy and hassle free experience, then we got you covered. We proudly present you this wonderfully...
For a really easy solution to eating utensils, you can choose a spork. Many of us get frustrated with sporks on long camping trips when you just want to be able to hold a knife and fork in separate hands for more complex meals. For shorter camping trips though, they’re a great, super light option. If you want to buy one for yourself, see out complete buying guide for sporks here. We’ve chosen this option, however, for those of you who are going camping in large groups. It also comes with a bottle/can opener and enjoy your canned soup or an ice-cold drink
With this collection of 8 different colored sporks, each member of your family can have one, and you could even double them up to be used as a knife and fork separately. If you’re trying to teach your kids how to camp responsibly, the color-coded sporks could help you no end. Give each member of your family a different color, and the responsibility to clean it, teaching them the golden principle of camping: leave no trace.
One stand out feature of these sporks is that they’re made from high quality and BPA free Tritan, meaning they won’t bend like some other plastic utensils. However, they’re not as strong as a titanium spork. But this durable material will not bend or break like other plastic. It’s also better for you, as you won’t be exposed to any chemicals: it’s food-grade and safer than some other spork materials, but also FDA-approved. This set of sporks is super lightweight and comes with its own convenient drawstring carry bag. You’ll be able to feed the family, or your large camping group, anywhere, any time!
- 8 different colored sporks – perfect for family groups
- Durable material, scratch-proof premium-quality Tritan Co-Polyester
- Comes with a bottle/can opener
- Dishwasher safe
- Super lightweight and portable in carrying pouch
- The knife can get annoying for people with larger hands, better suited for kids
- Can warp in the washing machine
Our personal winner is the Devico Portable Utensils, Travel Camping Cutlery Set, 8-Piece. With this product, you’ll want to take these utensils with you everywhere, meaning you’ll never have to use a plastic fork or spoon again. Because there are chopsticks, and straws too, and the cutlery is sizeable, this set will cover all your needs, no matter the meal. Although we wouldn’t recommend it for backpackers who are looking for the lightest product possible, at 9oz it definitely isn’t going to weigh you down. And the design is chic and minimalist to boot.
As with camping cookware, the best camping utensils are the ones that suit your unique style of camping, or the camping trip you are planning. Although we understand for some the lightness of the utensils is the main selling factor, don’t sacrifice on the eating experience! Make sure the utensils are large enough, and sturdy enough to suit the meals you like to eat while camping.
Bonus tip: To work out whether a spork or a camping utensil is right for you, watch this useful video!