Camping pillows are a product that, when you have a really good one, you won’t be able to live without again. A great camping pillow combines comfort with portability. You’ll find yourself not only using them in your tent or hammock on your campsite but even taking them in your bag with you on holidays or business trips, to give you some easy support for your head and neck on a train or plane. We’re going to review 8 of our favorite solutions, to help you find the best camping pillow for you.
In a hurry? Here’s the test winner after 10 hours of research:
- Super compact & light: perfectly portable for backpacking, hiking, car & air travel, and more! Comes with a strap to clip it to your bags.
And here’s an overview of the best camping pillows on the market today:
Camping pillows are either non-inflating or inflating. To help you decide which option is ideal for you, we’re comparing the reviews of non-inflating pillows first, then inflatable camping pillows, and then we will suggest to your our favorite hybrid. Some people can’t sacrifice the comfort that sleeping on a traditional pillow brings, and if you’re car camping or not hiking for too long, then this could be a great solution for you. However, if you’re going solo camping, backpacking, or hiking for long distances, check out the super portable inflatable camping pillow options below.
Best Camping Pillow – Overview
Non-inflating camping pillows
1. TETON Sports Camp Pillow
- SMALL PILLOW THAT’S BIG ON COMFORT: Extra soft travel pillow is the perfect support when it’s time to relax; Just right for camping, backpacking and road tripping
Options for non-inflatable pillows are certainly more likely to get you some more zeds, as you’ll feel almost like you’re sleeping at home, but they’re certainly not as portable as inflatable pillows. However, if you definitely want to be taking a real pillow with you for support, then this pillow could be a good option for you. These comfortable pillows are not only in individual, hipster, tartan designs, that will make you look like the chicest member of the campsite, but they’re also dinky and compact, making them easy to transport.
Another useful feature of this model is that it’s actually a travel pillow that can be washed just like your pillow at home! But this option is the best, really, for those wanting an aesthetically pleasing camping trip. Each pillow matches the lining of one or more TETON Sports Sleeping Bags and compresses down into the included stuff sack for easy packing. So you could match the pillowcases, which are all are in lovely, attractive designs, in different tartan or poly flannel, that will make you feel like you’re sleeping in a comfy, luxury, camping lodge.
There’s also no need to inflate this pillow, it just lofts up on its own. This is a small pillow, but it’s very plush. For the younger members of your family, or if you’re just going on a short camping trip like to a festival, this will be all the size you’ll need. It’s also easy to transport even though it’s not inflatable and only weighs 10 oz. However, this isn’t the perfect option to lug with you if you’re going hiking for long distances, or if you prefer a bigger size of a pillow.
- Machine washable
- Very well designed and aesthetically pleasing with brushed flannel covers and synthetic fill
- Light and transportable at only 10oz
- Limited Lifetime Warranty
- Not inflatable, so won’t fold up to as small a size, doesn’t compress easily
- Might be too small to satisfy some sleepers
2. Coop Home Goods – Adjustable Travel/Camping Pillow – Hypoallergenic Shredded Memory Foam Fill
- FEEL AT HOME – Take the comfort and luxury of our bestselling pillow anywhere you go. This pillow is made to keep you cozy through all of life’s adventures, so you won't ever want to leave it...
This convenient, compressible pillow comes with its now convenient stuff sack: it has a 19″ x 14″ uncompressed size and a 10″ x 6″ compressed size. It’s water-resistant and allows you to compress the pillow to half its size to save space in your suitcase or backpack. Another great benefit of this pillow, which makes it unique from most other non-inflatable pillows, is that it’s fully adjustable. You can easily add or remove foam to select the right fill, and comfort level for you. Whether you like a firm or soft pillow, you can make it so the pressure is just right.
Not only does this pillow pack all the comfort and durability of our full-sized pillow in a compact size so you can travel light and travel right, but it’s also made from durable materials. It’s CertiPUR-US and GREENGUARD Gold certified to ensure safety and quality, meaning this product will stand the test of time. It’s also made from eco-friendly, Lulltra fabric (40% bamboo-derived viscose rayon and 60% polyester cover ) which provides supreme breathability and soft, comforting feeling on the top.
Another unique benefit of this pillow is that it’s thermoregulating. This is the only pillow we’ve reviewed that has this feature, which could make it the perfect pick for you if you go car camping throughout the year, and can stow this pillow in your car, awaiting the next camping trip. The Lulltra fabric is naturally thermoregulating and ensures a cool, comfortable, and continuous sleep through the night, no matter the season. Also, this model is machine washable, meaning it’s really easy to clean, just like your pillow at home!
- Fully adjustable: you can easily add or remove stuffing to get the firmness you require
- 5-year warranty
- Machine washable
- Thermoregulating microfiber
- Quite heavy at 36 oz including stuff sack
- Although it’s compressible, not as portable as inflatable options
3. Wise Owl Outfitters Camping Pillow Compressible Foam Pillows
- Start Sleeping in Comfort! Our packable camping & travel pillow has memory foam like cushioned support with a soft micro-suede cover giving you a truly supportive rest that you and your head will be...
One of the main benefits of this model, which you certainly won’t see in the inflatable camping pillow options, is the supreme comfort and luxury of this pillow. This is a great option for you if you need superior support as you sleep, perhaps if sometimes you get a stiff back, or you’re not the easiest sleeper.
This pillow has a memory like foam cushion support with a soft micro-suede cover. The extremely supportive foam filling gives you and your head a great night’s sleep, no matter the position you sleep in, whether it be on your side, front or back.
If the materials don’t convince you of the luxury of this pillow, then listen to this: it’s 5 inches thick. This is unparalleled in camping pillows, making this the ideal option for you if you want unparalleled support. It’s also surprisingly portable: it comes with convenient carry bag, with a drawstring closure, to keep pillow compressed down in a 9” x 6” stuff sack for the small pillow, 10 ½” x 6” in the medium size & 12″ x 7″ in the large size.
The smallest size might be ideal to fit in your backpack, if you can sacrifice the space, but it does still weigh 9oz at the smallest weight. This is the most portable option of a non-inflatable pillow, but you might want an even smaller, more portable model if you’re going backpacking for a very long period of time.
Lastly, there are 5 bold colors for you to choose from, so you can find a design that’s just right for you. Because they’re so bright, it might also help you to find the pillow in a dark campsite. And once the camping trip is complete, these pillows are fully machine washable and dryer friendly for easy cleanup.
- Supportive memory like foam cushion
- Micro-suede cover
- Comes with convenient carry bag, and compresses in size
- 5 color choices
- Heavier and bulkier than inflatable pillows
- Stuff sack could be smaller to make it decompress more
Inflatable camping pillows
4. Inflatable Camping Travel Pillow Ultralight by Rest-A-Camp
- 5 SECONDS TO START USING. Camping pillow is fully inflated within only a few seconds and 3-5 deep breaths.
And now we get to our second category of camping pillows: inflatable camping pillows. Although these products aren’t as comfortable to sleep on as their non-inflatable sisters, they do win when it comes to portability, especially for backpackers, or those who are going to be hiking for a long period of time before setting up camp. This is not just because these products are super light and portable. It’s also because they’re really easy to set up, almost as easy as non-inflatable pillows. This option, for example, inflates in just 3-5 breaths.
This pillow wins on portability: with only 4oz in weight and 5×3 inches (when deflated) in size making this the ideal option for backpackers. You can also easily just carry this with you on other holidays, or business trips, and inflate it in seconds to use it on the train or plane. But when it’s inflated, it gives you ample space: 15x12x4.5 inches when inflated.
Some options of inflated camping pillow go up at the corners, to avoid your head rolling off in the night as you sleep. This option doesn’t have this feature, but it does boast an ergonomic design which creates excellent head support and neck relaxation. You can inflate it to just the right pressure, so your head gets the right amount of support as you sleep. And you don’t have to worry about it deflating as you sleep: the secure valve prevents air leakage.
And you can ensure complete comfort with this product due to the materials used. Your head will be resting on a hypoallergenic 100% cotton cover combined with an extra soft fabric layer. And with the high-quality TPU fabric of the body guaranteeing long-term usage, this could be the perfect combination for you of comfort and longevity.
- Very potable: 4oz in weight and 5×3 in. (deflated) in size
- Ergonomic design for excellent head support and neck relaxation no matter your sleeping position
- Air pillow secure valve prevents air leakage.
- 100% cotton cover combined with extra soft fabric layer.
- Flat, so you might roll off it as you sleep
- Need more grip on the bottom so it doesn’t slide as you sleep
5. Rugged Camp Camping Pillow
- INFLATES INSTANTLY WITH 3-5 BREATHS - Our unique two-way air value lets you blow up this pillow fast without any air escaping by opening only the top valve. When you are ready to deflate, just open...
This camping pillow by rugged doesn’t have the flat look of the previous model. It’s raised at the sides, to give you an ergonomically designed sleeping pillow, that won’t allow you to roll off in the middle of the night. Another great benefit of this inflatable pillow is that it’s compact, lightweight, and convenient; the compressible pillow only weighs 2.75 ounces and inflates to a comfortable 16 x 12 x 4-inch sleeping pillow. Wake up refreshed and roll up to fit into a carrying bag that is smaller than your hand, taking up almost no space in your backpack while hiking and traveling.
Some inflatable camping pillows can become quite annoying to sleep on in tents. This is because some pillow models have a flat, plastic-y underside, which can slip around the tent as you’re sleeping. However, this model has some non-slip rubber dots on the bottom, which should prevent it from moving too much while you sleep on it.
This option is made from really durable materials, waterproof knitted cotton, and is puncture resistant. With all great outdoors kit, we need to know that it can withstand any weather condition, and be durable, and stand the test of time with its materials. This model certainly doesn’t disappoint. This camping pillow even comes with a bonus 11 in 1 credit card-sized multi-tool.
However, seeing at the price is only $16, this might seem a wee bit gimmicky. If you’re looking for a cheap solution, and don’t go camping that often, this could be a great solution for you. But if you’re a really outdoors enthusiast, we’d recommend buying heavy-duty pillows and multi-tools separately.
- Durable, made of waterproof knitted cotton.
- Weighs 2.75 ounces and inflates to a comfortable 16 x 12 x 4-inch
- Puncture resistant
- Comes with a camping multi-tool
- 5 color options
- Some air loss during sleep, loses pressure
- Slightly slippery, doesn’t always stay under your head as you sleep
6. Alpcour Camping Pillow
- CAMP PILLOW FOR SLEEPING COMFORT – Get a Good Night’s Rest While Backpacking & Hiking in the Great Outdoors, Lounging on the Beach or Traveling by Plane – Inflatable Pillow Folds Down Smaller...
Similar to the previous model, this camping pillow by Alpcour has raised sides, offering you ergonomic support for neck and back, no matter your preferred sleeping position. It also inflates in just 3-5 breaths and deflates with the press of a button. This will save you time not only as you drive at your campsite, meaning you can almost jump straight into bed, but will also save you time as you’re taking down your campsite. It deflates in seconds, meaning you’re ready to get back on the road!
This model also has anti-slip rubber dots to enhance friction on the base, meaning it won’t move around as you sleep. These rubber dots are a bit more effective than in the previous model and certainly win compared to non-inflatable camping pillows. But the most unique feature of this model, which will definitely prevent it from moving around while you sleep, is that it comes with a removable latch strap, so you can attach it securely to your inflatable pad or camping mattress.
This model doesn’t just have sticking power! It’s also available in 5 different color options, and in different sizes too, meaning you can find the model that suits your needs and tastes. And, just like with all of the inflatable camping pillows, it wins on weight and portability. It folds up into a tiny carry bag about the size of your palm, and weighs only 4.8 oz when deflated, making it the perfect option for backpackers and hikers.
- Raised sides, ergonomic support for neck and back
- Inflates in 3-5 breaths, deflates with the press of a button
- Anti-slip rubber dots to enhance friction on the base
- Lightweight and eminently portable
- Materials might not be as heavy-duty
- Deflates slightly as you sleep
7. Trekology Ultralight Inflatable Camping Travel Pillow
- Small in Size - Big on Comfort! This is the most compact & lightweight inflatable camp pillow on the market – folds down to 5x2 inches, smaller than a soda can! Inflates to a comfortable pillow for...
This model is the perfect option for you if you’re looking for the height of lightweight portability. It folds down to a tiny 5×2 inches and weighs a mere 3.4oz (100g). This means that both the size and weight of your camping pillow when you’re carrying it will be less than a soda can! This is the lightest and most convenient model we have reviewed so far: a perfect option for survival pillow, or for backpacking trips, backcountry or primitive camping trips.
Trekology’s camping pillow is also top when it comes to sticking power. Not only does it boast an enhanced design with the latest highly durable elastic TPU fabric which is entirely water-resistant. It also is designed so that your camping pillow never slides away in the middle of the night again.
The new Aluft 2.0 pillow back contains rubber anti-slipping dots to increase friction between your pillow and the sleeping mat. It also boasts a special latch strap that pairs well with air inflatable sleeping pads, meaning your camping gear is all attached, and can’t slip across the tent floor as you’re getting your beauty sleep.
This model boasts Improved Ergonomic Design with Enhanced neck support for a restful night’s sleep, no matter your preferred sleeping position: it’s ideal for back sleepers, side sleepers and stomach sleepers alike. It’s also really easy to take down: once you are done using your pillow you can conveniently deflate it with the Quick Deflate feature which rapidly releases air after use in only seconds. With the unique technology, you can adjust the firmness to your personal sleep preference.
- 5×2 inches when deflated, folded and in its carry bag: smaller than a soda can
- Rubber anti-slipping dots to increase frictions between your pillow and the sleeping mat
- Inflate pillow by mouth with approximately 3-5 breaths
- Ergonomic support for neck and back, and raised sides so you don’t slide off in the night
- Difficult to change the pressure
- After a few months, it may slow leak
8. Leisure Co Ultra-Portable & Ultralight Camping Pillow
- Super compact & light: perfectly portable for backpacking, hiking, car & air travel, and more! Comes with a strap to clip it to your bags.
This camping pillow is slightly more expensive than most of the others reviewed, but at just over $20, it certainly isn’t going to break the bank. And, we think, it has enough features and extra comfort to warrant the ever so slightly higher price. We would recommend this potion as the perfect solution for you, if you’re looking for the portability of an inflatable pillow, but want the comfort of a traditional pillow.
Leisure Co’s camping pillow has a flat design, meaning if you’re a restless sleeper, you might want to go with one of the other designs with raised sides to avoid you rolling off. However, this pilot will amen you feel like you’re sleeping in luxury. It has soft & breathable luxury brushed cotton for the comfiest touch on your skin, with an added cushioning layer for more padding and comfort. This added cushion later means you’ll never have the same critique of some towards inflatable pillows: that they feel like sleeping on a balloon!
But, despite the extra layer of padding and comfort in this model, you barely sacrifice anything in portability. The inflated size is 17.5″ x 10″ x 3.5”, and once compressed and packed down, the pillow is 3″ x 3″ x 5.5”, only about an inch bigger than even the smallest of inflatable pillows. Not only does it pack down to the size of a pair of socks, it only weighs just 5.3oz. With its grey, Scandi-chic design, durable non-puncturable materials, extra padding, but still extreme portability, this is our favorite camping pillow on the market at the moment.
- Elegant, chic design
- Inflates easily with just 3 to 5 breaths
- Weighs just 5.3oz and packs down to a small size: 3″ x 3″ x 5.5”.
- Adjustable firmness
- A bit heavier and bigger than some other options, due to the extra padding
- Thinner when inflated
There are many great brands and models you can consider to find the perfect camping pillow for you, like Therm-a-rest, sea to summit and summit aeros. However, our favorite camping pillow of them all is the Leisure Co Ultra-Portable & Ultralight Camping Pillow. This is the only model we have found which combines the portability of an inflating pillow with the comfort and cushioning of a non-inflatable pillow. If you want a camping pillow that’s really a jack of all trades, and can last you for any camping adventure, then this is our top pick for you.
For a really good night’s sleep, campers can’t live without a really good camping pillow. And although there are tonnes of cheap, easy solutions online, we would recommend really researching which product will suit you and your needs best, even if you spend a couple of extra dollars on the perfect one.
When camping pillows go wrong, they can really ruin your sleep on a camping trip. None of us want to wake up with a sore neck to realize that our camping pillow has deflated during the night, or has slipped away from our camping mattress. So follow our top recommendations for the best camping pillows on the market, to find the one that will add to, not detract from, your beauty sleep.
Bonus tip: To check out whether an ultralight inflatable camping pillow is the right option for you, watch this useful video!